Friday, December 08, 2006

I Miss School

I think yesterday was one of those days when I could actually feel myself getting dumber. (Actually, the trend might have started Wednesday night when I said "Lance Bass" instead of "Lance Armstrong" while touting my celebrity gossip knowledge/skills. Oh, the irony...) First, I couldn't solve the medium level of sudoku in the morning paper(which normally isn't a problem). On my lunch break, it took me almost twenty minutes to find the fire extinguishers at Target. And, when I went out to the parking lot, it took me another ten to find my car, and later at the car wash, I was literally impressed/near giddy as the different colored soaps covered my windows. Then, when I was back at my desk, I tried to roll my chair away to visit a co-worker's, but I still had my headphones around my neck, so instead I yanked the headphones out of the computer and knocked over all of my notes and a book while the office watched with pity. But, what truly frightened me is that on the way home from work, I found myself doubting how to spell "wrapping paper." I started to wonder if "wrapping paper" was the same as Saran wrap or wrapping a film. It started to seem odd that Christmas wrap would be spelled with a "w." And, much like sometimes saying the same word over and over again can start to make that very word seem odd ("hotdog" does it to me every time, and yes, i do use the word "hotdog" often enough for this to happen), the more I thought about "wrapping paper," the more perplexed I became. Eventually, I reasoned with myself that it certainly wasn't "rapping paper" as "rap" defines a genre of music and probably wouldn't apply to other objects. (Not to mention the fact that you are actively engaged in the act of "wrapping" when you cover a present in paper.) But, I really don't think the thought process should have gotten to such dire depths. Maybe I really do need to start eating breakfast.