Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Truth and Tabloids

When Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes started dating, there were reports that her car was so dirty when they first met, Tom couldn't even get into the passenger seat. Originally, I thought this was nonsense. After all, if I were on an early date, I would make sure that my car was relatively clean. (It's one of those "girl rules" - like smelling nice, refusing to admit you can sweat profusely, and making sure your apartment is clean when a boy picks you up.) Of course, I'm assuming that when Katie first met Tom, she thought he was a normal guy and not some sort of modern-medicine-hating, cult-believing, odd-shaped-bangs kind of fellow. Those are the kind we'll drive away with our non-lady-like behavior. (Wait a second...) But, then there are days when I look into the back of my own car (which still might be filled with stuff that needs to go to the dry cleaners and post-move-to-Nashville objects that won't fit into my apartment/hovel), and I know that it could happen to any one of us.