Friday, January 12, 2007

The Home Front

Lately, the weather has been warmer, so my landlord has been leaving her dogs out in the backyard more often than normal. (Keep in mind that this is Tennessee; the weather is often unseasonably warm.) Other than the somewhat long nails on her dogs, they are generally very sweet creatures, so this really shouldn't bother me. However (because there always is a "but" whenever I say that I'm not upset - just ask some ex-boyfriends), I do wish she would keep her dogs inside more often, and here's why: You see, my own dog, Cassidy, loves to play with other dogs. And, I mean loves to play with other dogs. (No, not in some weird humping way.) She thinks that every dog is just waiting for her to jump on them, run around, or pick up the opposite end of a tug rope. Sometimes I worry about her survival instincts since she will try to play with dogs who snarl, scratch, and snap too. God forbid she ever encounter an overly bold opossum or raccoon. In fact, Cassidy will even ignore me to play with other dogs. And, herein lies the problem. Instead of having my four-legged buddy to play games with, follow me around the house, and snuggle, she constantly wants to go outside to play with my landlord's dogs. She's insistent on it to the tune of constantly sitting by the back door. And, while I know that she's a dog and would of course want to play outside with other dogs and doesn't have a real thought process or the ability to "reject" per say, it started to hurt my feelings. So, tonight when I was at the grocery store, I picked up a special treat. I happen to know that Cassidy adores the real bones that come from the butcher at the grocery. She loves them so much, she will devote hours to finishing one without giving in to any distractions. (Often, while sitting right at my feet.) Tonight, I came home with a bribe to keep my dog inside with me. I bribed my own pet to spend time with me. I have a feeling that the implications of this could be far more devastating than the initial feelings caused by my dog's "choice." (And that I would be a disaster as a divorced parent.) Therefore, I'm just not going to think about it. (Denial is one of my greatest gifts.) Isn't it great that Cassidy's back inside with me?