Thursday, December 14, 2006

Accessories

I think my biggest pet peeve of the week involves people who keep that little ear piece from their cell phone on their head all the time. It bothers me enough when people conduct phone conversations through the ear piece. Most of the time, I don't realize that they're talking on the phone. I think they're either talking to themselves out loud (which increases my anxiety because I think I've had the misfortune of awaiting public transportation next to a delusional or otherwise mentally-disturbed crazy person who might push me in front of a bus at any moment) or that they're talking to me (and that's when I provide an awkward response thinking we're in a conversation before the stranger stares at me like I'm nuts while whispering to the person that they're actually talking to on the phone how some delusional or otherwise mentally-disturbed crazy person has tried to engage them in the park.) Yet, despite all that, it bothers me even more when people wear the ear piece when they're not talking on the phone - like they're so important they might get an urgent call at any moment that trumps all other people or conversation and is so vital that they can't even be bothered with the time delay mere mortals struggle with when they flip open a phone to take to a call. Seriously, few phone calls are that important. For a point of reference, when's the last time you spotted anyone in scrubs with an ear piece on? And, perhaps most disturbing, is that whenever you see people constantly wearing the ear piece, you're not on the floor of the stock exchange or at some incredibly hip eatery that agents and Hollywood starlets frequent. No, the place you're going to see the ear-piece-wearer is in line at Krispy Kreme or scarfing down boneless buffalo wings at the Ruby Tuesday. Certainly, I'm not necessarily the one to judge delusions of grandeur, but I want to guarantee anyone with lingering doubts that an ear piece does not portray importance or social significance. It certainly doesn't matter to anyone in the T.G.I. Friday's happy hour crowd who probably came to play NTN Trivia at the bar while sipping on an ice cream and liquor concoction known as the "Blue Storm" and arguing the finer points of reality television with "the regulars." (Are these really the people you're trying to impress anyway?) Of course, by "anyone" I'm not at all referring to myself in times of guilty pleasure, extreme sadness, or on Tuesdays at 5:30.