Monday, January 22, 2007

Facing Facts

In college, one of my nicknames was "Karen" after the character from "Will & Grace." For awhile, every time I met a stranger, he or she would eventually say, "Wow, something about you is so familiar. I wish I knew who you reminded me of - I just can't put my finger on it." I would then put their minds at ease with a simple, "Is it Karen from 'Will & Grace'?" which was always met with an, "Oh my gosh, yes! That's exactly it! Has anyone ever told you that before?" "Once or twice," I'd say. I think it had something to do with the fact that I often said "my right hand is lonely" while shaking my fingers a bit when it was after 5:00 and we hadn't yet picked a place for cocktails. In a way, I actually appreciated the comparison even though I wasn't sure how true it was. Then, a few months ago, when I was in yet another wedding, after the ceremony all of the bridesmaids and groomsmen were supposed to pile into a limo and then kill some time before arriving at the reception. We discussed a few ideas of how to use up twenty minutes before landing on the winning notion of getting some alcohol. And, that's when I found myself actually speaking the words, "Driver, take us to the bubbly!" I will never dispute my nickname ever again.