Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Time Management

Often times, when I'm out and about with my dog, people will ask me what tricks she knows. I will promptly ask Cassidy to sit. ("Sit please" actually.) And, then she sits. Usually this is about the time said strangers or others look at me, seeming to expect more. And, unfortunately, my dog doesn't know how to do anything else. (I'm not even sure you can count sitting as a trick. It seems much more like a necessary command as opposed to a "trick.") Cassidy doesn't shake, she doesn't roll over and she certainly doesn't catch Frisbees in the air or jump through hoops. On occasion, she will fetch, but that's usually completely on her own terms and not mine - when she's bored, she'll lay down in the middle of the yard regardless of what's going on with our game. I've probably looked for the tennis ball more than she has. There's really not much to the Cassidy and Laurel show. (Unless, of course, she's dressed up in something seasonal. We do tend to get attention when she's in her Halloween hoodie or Christmas sweater.) I'm sure most of this is to blame on the fact that I don't really like being "active." After all, it only makes sense that a dog would adapt to the lifestyle of its owner. Therefore, Cassidy won't really make it through a rigorous jog, but she's great at spending hours at an outdoor cafe while Bloody Marys or other libations are consumed. Also, whenever I think about whether or not I want to spend my afternoon training Cassidy, I can't help but wonder about the effort versus return ratio. I'm not sure I see the point to putting hours into teaching her how to lay down. If we're going to spend quality time together, the dog park (where other people might be) or browsing through PetSmart (where I can shop for even more of those seasonal sweaters) seem like much more enjoyable options. And, even though Cassidy doesn't do any of the "tricks" mainstream America seems so fond of, I happen to think she has two skills far better than any "speaking" German Shepherd or "dancing" poodle. Cassidy responds to a few particular sounds. In terms of "novelty sounds," her ears perk up at sirens (leading to howls), barks from other dogs on television and Hugh Laurie's voice. (I'm actually serious about the last one, and I think I prove my earlier point about dogs adapting to the habits of their owners.) But, it's Cassidy's response to more useful sounds that makes her such a brilliant dog. Cassidy also perks up when my cell phone rings or the timer on the oven goes off. And, while at first this might not seem all that impressive, please keep in mind that these are sounds I usually don't hear. When my cell phone rings, Cassidy runs towards it. (This part of her skill is also invaluable since I usually don't hear my cell phone or remember where I put it.) And, when the timer sounds, Cassidy runs to the kitchen. (Without her, I'd probably have even more burned dinners, and that's a terrifying thought.) So, while I might not be hitting the dog show circuit anytime soon, I happen to think Cassidy is on top of everything she needs to know. It's just unfortunate I can't throw a ringing cell phone around to impress strangers.