Monday, September 10, 2007

Laurel's Law #34

This probably comes as no surprise, but throughout my twenty-seven years, I have devised numerous theories on the workings of the universe and human kind. (Leelee Sobieski must have sold her soul to Satan for success in Hollywood, Donny Osmond would be sweeping floors if he hadn't had Marie for a sister, there was never a need for the Almond Joy candy bar, etc.) And, while for years these ruminations were only known by me and strangers who might have the misfortune of sitting near me on a plane, now that I have a blog, I can share my thoughts whenever I feel like it. Let's just say that America really is a great nation. So, to share yet another of these theories, here are the three things I'm sure are never of interest to anyone but oneself: 1. Pets. Now, I'm not claiming that I'm not guilty of this one, but, in general, I recognize that no one actually cares what your dog does when you give it a bath or how that latest visit to the vet went. For the most part, dog behavior is pretty uniform. And, while this may be a shock to some of the parents out there, the same can also be true of your baby - especially if the story you're thinking of telling involves the phrase "just won't take the nipple," "poo-poo," or "episiotomy." No one needs that. 2. Vacation photos. I'm sorry, but one of the last things I ever want to be forced to look at is vacation photos. (I might choose them over photos of any of the three cautionary phrases mentioned in the last example, but I can't really say for sure.) Unless a UFO landed during your trip to the Eiffel Tower or Grand Canyon, I'm positive I know what you're talking about - without the visual. And, if you don't work for National Geographic, I really prefer to be spared the stacks and stacks of snapshots. Great stories from your trip? Absolutely. Having to hear that story while you point out how tiny ketchup bottles are in Germany in four different photos? No, thank you. 3. Dreams. We all have crazy dreams. In fact, that's kind of why there are all those theories about the subconscious and people love to throw around the names "Freud" and "Jung." And, I certainly understand the desire to share all of those wild inner workings with someone else, but there's probably nothing worse than arriving at the office on a Monday morning to hear, "Good weekend, Laurel? You will not believe what I dreamed about Saturday night ..." It may be a sign of my age, but I can't feign the slightest bit of interest in that anymore. I will allow for the caveat that if you dream about my car stalling on the railroad tracks before an oncoming train and you have a good track record with these things coming true (yes, you must me both requirements), I'm willing to lend an ear. But, otherwise, please keep any "so I was trying to get to this house, only it wasn't my house because the staircase was on the outside rather than the inside, and then my mom was flying a kite with Jodie Foster" to yourself.