Wednesday, September 05, 2007

The Invasion

Normally when I’m at the office, I do all that I can not to leave the office. It probably explains a lot of my shape, but I don’t get up from my desk all that often. Unfortunately though, this habit has next to nothing to do with my work ethic or desire "to get things done."

I avoid leaving my office because of the pesky sales people always wandering the halls. Whether they want to sell you gym memberships, comedy club tickets or coupons to save at Jersey Mike’s Subs, these persistent lurkers pepper our building. And, without the "no solicitors" sign on the office door to protect me, I am easy prey for their terrible offers. (Good at saying "no," I am not. Don’t get me started on the chiropractor package I got talked into, and I don’t even believe in chiropractors.)

But, it had been a few months since I’d run into one of these solicitors, so I decided to be bold on Friday, and I left the office to go next door for a chat.

And that’s when I walked straight in to two high school students trying to raise money for some sort of student program. Plus, since I had walked straight into them, there was no escaping the pitch.

When they asked if I wanted to give money to their program, I went with my typical non-confrontational stand-by of "I don’t have any cash on me."

"That’s OK, we take checks," the lead student said while opening the lid of the laminated box that he was carrying. In the flash that he opened the box, I saw some sort of white leopard decal and figured that I could give him a few dollars and then take the hideous animal sticker to a friend as a joke, so I agreed to make a donation.

"How much are they?" I asked, referencing the box after these kids had followed me back to my desk.

"The sun catchers? They’re twenty-five to thirty dollars," he said.

That’s when I stopped in my tracks. (I remember having a hard time getting people to pay a whole dollar for candy bars when I used to fund-raise for my elementary school, and I feel as if this price increase can’t really correspond to inflation.) I also knew that no matter how much of a people pleaser I am, I wasn’t about to shell out that kind of dough for a cat’s face made of colored plastic and wire.
"The smaller ones are only fifteen," he added, seeing my obvious hesitation, and he pushed a sun catcher with two teddy bear heads and a banner that said "best friends" towards me.

"You know," I said. "Come to think of it, I don’t really need any more stuff. I’d rather just make a donation to your organization."

Silly me thought that this was very nice. After all, they had accosted me at the office, they had no goods of value to offer, and I still didn’t know what I was actually donating money for. (I pray that it’s not the young Aryan nation, but I guess you never know with these things.) Plus, at this point, I’d wasted ten minutes of my work day. (And I wasted those ten minutes not reading perezhilton.com.)

I pulled out my purse and wrote a check for five dollars.

"There you go and good luck," I said, turning back towards my desk and computer screen.

"Thank you," the teenager said. "But, since it is a check, I am going to need to see some ID."

Needless to say, I’m never leaving my office again.

Dolphin sun catcher pictured here might or might not resemble the goods being sold by wandering high school students.