Thursday, July 06, 2006

Pacific White-Sided Dolphins and Me

Monday afternoon, I took a trip to the Shedd Aquarium in downtown Chicago. Other than the penguins, one of the biggest attractions at the aquarium is the dolphin show. After all, who doesn't love a good dolphin? And, because most people do love dolphins, it's quite a popular exhibition. My friends and I barely got seats, and once we did, we still had to wait about half an hour for the show to start. So, full of excitement and animal kingdom wonder, I waited for the big event. Unfortunately, the show was hosted by Alison*, who, clad in her Shedd Aquarium-issued polo shirt and mom khakis, and equipped with a wireless microphone over the ear, leads the audience on the journey into the "mysterious" world of dolphins. (From here on out, all words placed in quotation marks will be Alison's choices and not mine.) Even though we never actually met and Alison was never less than 20 feet from me - we did not get along. She opened the show with an intro she must have stolen from an old show on the Discovery Channel, but embellished with what I assume to be a background in amateur theater. (I will say this for her - someone taught her to enunciate and someone taught her sweeping hand motions.) Personally, I don't think anyone should be as confident as Alison was when she asked overdone rhetorical questions like "What about dolphins is fact [long pause] and what is fiction? [second long pause complete with meaningful sweeping glance over the audience] And, how do we separate the myth [pause] from the reality?" Also, I don't think Alison fell into her work. I'm pretty sure it was a life-long dream to lead the aquarium show, and thinking of this made me feel like I did when I learned that being a character at period attractions like colonial Williamsburg and The American Village in Montevallo, Alabama is a coveted job and not something forced upon people by some sort of over-arching, all-powerful historical monopoly or the work of a particularly creative judge in the penal system. Some people really want to wear pantaloons, use hybrid accents, and explain the process behind shoeing a horse. But, that doesn't mean I get these people. Anyway, here was one of the "myths" about dolphins: "Some people say that dolphins are aliens. Now, who thinks that is a reality?" Oh, my poor, disturbed Alison... Here's my question: Who are these people that say dolphins are from outer space?!?! Seriously, when have you ever met someone in a rational and non-institutionalized setting who claimed to believe that dolphins were alien creatures? Who the hell does Alison hang out with that she hears this? And, if she has never heard it ,but only got her poorly syndicated Jonathan Frakes hosted "Fact or Fiction" confused with something from the history channel, what makes her think it is reasonable to repeat it as part of an educational discussion on sea creatures? I don't get Alison either. * Names have been changed because I'm insecure and non-confrontational.