Thursday, September 14, 2006

Obligations

Well, it seems that during my Birmingham absence, I was appointed as a co-chair to one of the allet-bay uild-gay's committees. (The allet-bay uild-gay is a "social and philanthropic" organization with the primary function of putting on a debutante ball and allowing grown women the opportunity to wear formal gowns and white gloves ten years after those items should have been safely stowed away in their respective attics. Please refer to previous posts for more information. Also, the allet-bay uild-gay takes itself very seriously, so I have cloaked them in the anonymity of pig Latin to try and escape any personal repercussions for revealing our secrets and inner workings. If you've seen "The Skulls," I'm sure you understand.) Anyway, I'm now the co-chair of the newsletter committee - which is probably the best committee for me to be a part of. After all, I like to write and edit. For a few shining moments after I learned the news, I thought this could finally be my chance to get excited about something involving the allet-bay uild-gay. I was so naive. It turns out that my only responsibility as co-chair of the newsletter committee is to address the newsletters before they're mailed out. Yep, I just have to stick on the labels. I doubt that I can even be trusted to go to the post office. That's probably chairman stuff - not co-chair stuff. There's no writing. There's no brainstorming. There's no content review. And, most of this would be fine for me, except for one little thing. I now quote the newsletter they have put my name on, "The Ball was a huge success impart due to your generous contributions to Friends of the Ballet..." Impart?!?! Impart rather than "in part"?!?!? This is what they included me on?!?! This?!?! Honestly, for a girl who proofreads menus and other signs without even realizing it, this is truly painful. It makes me wonder if this assignment was really some kind of punishment. Does the allet-bay uild-gay hate me? I mean, I don't know why they would dislike me so. What, with my outright mockery of the organization, "relaxed" work ethic, and refusal to do anything in the morning, you'd think that I would make the perfect member. And, what makes this really awful is knowing that I will never be allowed to copy edit the newsletter before it goes out. Even mentioning this mistake will probably be considered an act of insubordination or be greeted with the ever-familiar, "Oh, who cares anyway? No one notices those things. Let's just go ahead and send it out." Who cares? I care. I notice. I don't like having my name on gross misuses of the English language. It hurts me. It hurts me deeply. I can sense the eyes of all my professors on me - and they're judging eyes. The allet-bay uild-gay has struck again. When will I learn that they only hurt me?