Wednesday, September 12, 2007

The End of Summer

In general, I'm pretty sad to see summer go. I like being able to lay out, the slew of big budget blockbuster films in theaters and not having to worry about seasonal depression.

However, one thing I won't miss is a nightly game in my-not-so-great neighborhood that I like to call "Gunshots or Fireworks." (A little hint for those who live in relative safety: The number of pops you hear is how you decide. Two pops? Three? Could go either way. Fifteen pops? You're pretty safely in the illegal fireworks show category.)

Yes, with the end of summer, I'll know for sure that the sounds I hear at night are probably coming from random (or premeditated - who am I to say for sure) acts of violence.

And, at least being armed with that knowledge means that going to the window in hopes of seeing some beautiful, illuminated star burst in the night sky probably won't go terribly, terribly awry.