Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Psst...

The allet-bay uild-gay just sent me an e-mail reminding me about a party they're throwing in a few weeks. It's a top ten list. That rhymes. (Well, really, it kind of ryhmes. I don't count "movie" and "Suri" or "steam" and "seen.") It's incredible. Yet, despite all the slant rhyme and word play ("You can see the decorations without being lost in a sea of people." Where do they come up with these things?), my favorite reason to attend is #9: "This is casual...You don't have to dry clean. Come as you are, wash and wear..." Of course, "come as you are," "casual," and "wash and wear" are quickly followed by, "but no jeans." Let's just say that another reason you know that this isn't really my crowd is that there is nothing about my "come as you are" that would indicate a freshly pressed and dry cleaned outfit, heels, done hair and a date who's default mode is coat and tie. Telling me to "come as I am" and then following it up with "no jeans" is like telling me to "be myself, but not say anything too out there." It just doesn't work. My soul is perplexed. On a somewhat related note, I think I reached a new "business casual" low today. Of course, my office isn't "business casual," we're just "casual," but I still don't think anyone expected me to show up in gym shorts, sports bra, and t-shirt with tennis shoes, pink ankle socks that don't go and a white hoodie this morning. What can I say? I really was just that tired.