Friday, May 12, 2006

T.G.I.F.

Ok, I know I should write something. I really do. And, I'm trying really, really hard to come up with something to put in this space. But, you see, here's the problem - last night I bought many, many DVDs during what was properly an ill-advised trip to Best Buy, and now I can't seem to tear myself away from the home entertainment system. Yesterday, around 4:00, I drove to Best Buy to get the 1st season of "Murder She Wrote" on DVD as a Mother's Day present for my grandmother. (Ok, actually, that was a lie. I drove to Best Buy to get "Quantum Leap" on DVD. Somewhere in my heart of hearts, I am a bit of a sci-fi geek. This is hard to admit. When I was younger, I insisted on seeing every episode of "Quantum Leap." I kept a list. I recorded it off the sci-fi channel on a daily basis. I could not rest until I had seen all of Dr. Sam Beckett's adventures through time. If anyone speaks ill of Scott Bakula or Dean Stockwell in my presence, I go cold. I become an angry person. I slash their tires. (Well, not really, but I think about it.) And, I may or may not have spent 2 hours of my work day online looking at "Quantum Leap" fan sites to figure out which season of the series I should buy first. I also may or may not have entered onto some message boards and shared my thoughts on what was one of television's greatest moments. All I'm saying is that I had no idea there was an alternate ending for the "Quantum Leap" season finale, and now said alternate ending forever resides on my computer's hard drive.) Anyway, I picked up "Murder She Wrote" and season 3 of "Quantum Leap." (It features Sam's battle with the devil and the 2-part leap home- those were the selling points.) Well, then I spotted the sale sticker on the 1st season of CSI:. How could I pass up the chance to get 22 episodes of forensic fun for the bargain-basement price of $19.99? The answer is simple - I couldn't. Plus, sometimes I forget that long before I loved Hugh Laurie with the reckless abandon of a schoolgirl, I loved George Eads, a.k.a. Nick Stokes. I loved him in such a way that let's just say I can't bear to watch repeats of the finale where he was buried alive. Having to go through that kind of emotional turmoil was almost too much for me the first time. I now own at least 30 hours of television. I may not leave my apartment for quite a long time. If I ever make it to the grocery store, I might even find a way to sustain myself during this marathon. Sad, but true. I hate to think what the Best Buy clerk thought when she saw me buying "Quantum Leap," "Murder She Wrote," and "CSI:." I could venture a guess, but I imagine it was something like pity or great confusion.