Tuesday, September 26, 2006

A Slap in the Face

Now, of course, I'm aware that some overly eager agents, media outlets, and rising starlets are willing to exploit my and others' love of celebrity gossip to generate publicity and attention for themselves and important projects. (Yes, I feel that I can use the phrase "exploit." They use me to sell movie tickets. I use them to get a daily fix on a life I'll never have. This is exactly how I justify my US Weekly addiction/subscription.) Need we reference the recent Jessica Simpson/John Mayer faux romance to prove my point? But, I really do feel that Aaron Carter has crossed the line. He gets engaged at 18? (Again, how many Macaulay Culkin and Jerry Lee Lewis references do I have to make before people realize that teen marriage is usually very bad?) Then he calls off his engagement within a week? And, interestingly enough, all of this occurs just as the reality show "House of Carters" is set to debut on October 2? Even I'm not that naive, Aaron. (Also, can we talk about the fact that Aaron's former fiance once dated his brother, Nick, too? Is he in such need of a girl to generate gossip with that he takes to his brother's pool of exes?) For shame, Aaron, for shame. After all, you were once the guy that Lindsay Lohan and Hilary Duff were vying for. Hell, because of you, Lindsay Lohan cut her fingernails against La Duff long before taking on Paris Hilton and Brandon Davis. There was a time when you were semi-big. And, maybe that's why these last few years have been so tough on you, but, you divorced your mom and your sister is regularly charged with assault. I have a feeling that your reality show would have sold itself. There was no need to sink to such tactics. But, now that you have, I, for one, won't be watching.