Thursday, October 12, 2006

Two things are weighing on me today: 1. When did the word "sequel" stop meaning a continuation of the story (as in the incredible "Die Hard" trilogy, "Father of the Bride 2," and, from what I hear although I've never actually seen any of them, the "Star Wars" films), and start referring to a re-telling of the same story with a smaller budget and less credible dialogue (as in "Bring it On Again," "Cruel Intentions 2," and "I'll Always Know What You Did Last Summer")? 2. When I'm going to boil water, I always run the water hot before adding it to the pot, and when I'm going to make ice cubes, I always run the water cold before filling the tray. Although these actions seem intuitive and logical, I doubt they make any significant difference to either boiling or freezing water. Is it possible that the temperature of water pre-boiling or pre-freezing makes either process go any faster whatsoever? I know these questions sound rhetorical (like when I ask why LeeLee Sobieski is still allowed to make films or if Lindsay Lohan actually thinks that people buy this "exhaustion" excuse for a bad hangover), but they're not. Any answers/thoughts would be greatly appreciated.