Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Channel Surfing

In what might be a slightly premature declaration, I believe that I've found my favorite new show of the 2007 season. Last night, I made the mistake of thinking that "Heroes" premiered at nine rather than eight. (Yes, I realize that there's no excuse for getting this one wrong, considering the fact that it's not like "Heroes" is a little known phenomenon with no advertising behind it and all.) I was sad that I missed "Heroes," but since my television was already on NBC, I decided to go ahead and watch "Journeyman" when it came on.

And, that's when I fell in love.

I probably should have seen this coming. Most anyone who reads this blog is aware of the fact that I tend to regard time travel and wrong-righting very highly. But, almost because of how highly I regard "Quantum Leap" and it's storytelling wonder, I didn't think I would ever find another venue where these same premises would intrigue me.

For those needing a metaphorical perspective, if I were dating my television (which some Saturday nights, it feels like I am), "Quantum Leap" would be the ex on a pedestal that no one else could live up to or "the one that got away."

So, to say the least, I was taken by surprise when "Journeyman" found its way into my heart so quickly. I was so enamored, in fact, that it wasn't until this morning that the fear set in.

You see, I have loved like this before. Oh, "Class of '96" and a young Kari Wuhrer, how I tuned in every week. "Cupid" - where you could find Jeremy Piven before his days on "Entourage" - was a real treat. Even "Reunion," the show that was more bad-good than good, held my attention with it's ridiculous flashbacks and drawn out murder mystery. That's not even mentioning every attempt at a sitcom Bonnie Hunt has ever made, "Freaks and Geeks," "Jack & Jill" and "That's my Bush." I loved them all.

Then, the networks took them all away. Sure, you can say that it's better to have loved and lost than to never have loved at all, but I still don't know which of the five friends killed Samantha Carlton on "Reunion" and that irks me. I even promised myself that I wouldn't do this again - that I couldn't jump in to the fall schedule so quickly without considering the potential heartbreak.

After all, I don't know if "Journeyman" and I will last. And, even if we start off strong, who knows is we can make it through a whole season or how many years we'll have? One? Three? Dare I dream - five?

I suppose, awful pun intended, that I'll be taking a quantum leap of faith on "Journeyman" this year. (Oh, it's terrible, isn't it? For some reason, when the opportunity for a pun is there, I just have to take it. It's like kleptomania or car keys if you're a drunk Lindsay Lohan.)

Please wish us the best, and, if you have the time, give the show a shot. My love alone won't be enough to keep it on the air.