Monday, April 17, 2006

Laurel's Moment of Rage

Sunday night I headed off to my nieghborhood Movie Gallery because I knew there wasn't much I wanted to watch on television. ( I was also extremely hungry since my family's Easter celebration only involved cold foods, i.e. salad and deviled eggs, and that kind of stuff just doesn't stick with you. Finding that my burrito place was shut down for the day, which combined with the starvation might have planted the seeds of my extreme anger, I also knew that the Subway next to the movie store was always open. Therefore, my plan seemed to kill two birds with one stone.) Anyway, just as I spotted the last copy of "Capote" and was making my way towards it, a woman who came from out of nowhere cut me off and got to it first. At this point, I was a little upset but took some comfort in this: immediately after picking up the DVD, she flipped it over. I saw my window. This stranger had no idea what the movie was about! I figured that, as such, there is no way she would actually rent it. Therefore, I spent the next few minutes pretending to be interested in Jenny McCarthy's latest movie while I non-threateningly waited for her to return "Capote" to the shelf. But, she never did. Instead, she tucked it away with the two other movies she had already picked out. This is when I became extremely angry. For one, if you don't even know what the movie is, you shouldn't get to take the very last copy that's available. How is that fair? Rent it on a Tuesday or a Wednesday when all of the other people have brought back their copies and there's more of a selection. Secondly, she already had two other movies. What were the odds that she was going to watch all three of those before they were due back? Not good in my opinion. Share the wealth, lady. No one likes a hog. And, almost to add insult to injury, we ended up at the check out counter together where entertainment-stealing lady loudly proclaimed: "I've never even heard of this Capote thing, but I guess I'll give it a shot." She had to rub it in, didn't she? I even pathetically asked the clerk if anyone had recently returned copies of "Capote" that might not have been restocked yet. But, they hadn't. I went home with "The Squid and the Whale," which while perfectly lovely, just wasn't the movie that I wanted. And lady went home with her arms full of movies that the rest of us probably would have loved to have.